Monday, January 2, 2012

First Post

I thought it would be fun, and helpful to document our surrogacy journey. My DH and I have been together for 10 years, and can't have a baby together due to my lack of a uterus. We have scrimped and saved, I have donated my eggs twice and we are now finally able to start a journey!

We are in the VERY beginning stages, I am researching as much as possible. We definitely have a strict budget, which is probably small in the US, so we are debating going through India, or trying to find a low comp GS here in the US. I did not realize how incredibly expensive this process would be. We finally saved enough for a few IVF cycles and then bam, comp is about the same price.

Not that we are looking for someone to do it for free or anything, I just don't know how normal couples are able to afford it, especially when nothing is certain and who knows how many cycles it may take or what complications or unforeseen expenses can arise. So the financial aspect is a bit discouraging, but I am confident we will be able to make it work somehow :)

I am definitely going to continue researching like crazy, both overseas and in the US. I have joined a couple of surrogacy message boards, which have been a wealth of information so far. I am cautiously excited about starting this phase in our life. We went through the  TTC phase, the acceptance that we would need a 3rd party phase, the saving and wishing one of us had sisters phase, and now we get to move on to the matching phase.

We have definitely decided we are going indy after looking into several agencies, with all the message board classifieds, being able to get background checks, etc... I just can't see paying a a huge amount for someone else to do it for us, I would rather it go to comp. Besides I am extremely organized, have time and it kind of personalizes the experience for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment